The pituitary gland or hypophysis is an endocrine gland about the size of a pea in humans. It is a protrusion of the bottom of the hypothalamus at the base of the brain.
Hormones secreted from the pituitary gland help control the following body processes:
- Blood pressure
- Some aspects of pregnancy and childbirth including stimulation of uterine contractions during childbirth
- Breast milk production
- Sex organ functions in both males and females
- Thyroid gland function
- The conversion of food into energy (metabolism)
- Water and osmolarity regulation in the body
- Water balance via the control of reabsorption of water by the kidneys
- Temperature regulation
- Pain relief
Many philosophers of the past has written about the significance of the Pituitary gland, believing it is the seat of the soul. A lot of senses like smell and taste goes through the pituitary and helps the body decide if they can eat or drink something based on it's smell. However, a lot of problems related to the pituitary gland will block progress on the spiritual in some ways. The gland also controls the size of the physical body and mental powers.
If the Sella Turcica (Turkish Saddle) is too small for the size of the gland, the development of the gland will be retarded and the person will have a high chance of becoming morally and intellectually inferior. This is a simple under development of the gland and leads to declining intellectuality and moral sense. Persons affected becomes pathological liars for they have no sense of truth. This also aids in producing morons.
Depending on the development and secretion of the anterior pituitary, humans grow into giantism or dwarfism. Excess of anterior lobe secretion and lack of posterior lobe secretion, makes the giant. While an excess of anterior lobe secretion with an excess or increase in posterior lobe secretion makes a mental giant. This type is usually tall, bony and strong. The subpituitary person is usually fat, lethargic, short and dull and sexually impotent. Many with a chance of becoming epileptic.
When the secretion of the pituitary is in excess, the person is typically tall, lean (can eat without concern for becoming fat), with a tendency of high blood pressure, sexual trends and a great mental activity and initiative.
Third Eye, 6th chakra
Some schools teach that the Third Eye is the 7th chakra, which is the pineal gland; the pituitary gland is better described as the inner vision we can experience as imagination. When we dream or imagine things, the gland that is actually activated is the pituitary gland, but a great misconception exists, because the gland can be activated while activating both the pineal gland and during the recall of memories.
Many great quotes exists about the mind's eye, because it is through our imagination we can create the dreams we want to experience. Masters of lucid dreaming and visualization, usually do not live boring lives.
The Blessed One replied (Gautama Buddha),
- The most dangerous thief is unwholesome thought;
- the most precious treasure is virtue;
- the heavens and the earth may be captured by the mind's eye;
- surpassing rebirth locates the securest treasure-trove.
It is through activation and use of the pituitary gland, one can use the imagination to create and manifest realities, but also experience things you can create yourself. But most importantly, it is with the use of your imagination you activate, change, align, work with or manipulate the chakra system. Where your attention goes, that is where the energy flows. Thus, when efficient with visualizations, you can do most spiritual work on yourself with ease.
Activating this gland is easier than most other glands in the school of chakra energy systems, but it is strongly recommended that you activate it first, in order to use your imagination as a tool for later work on your body's energy system.
You can activate the Third eye through the use of vibrations and a stable, balanced diet.
An easy method written below will help you activate your gland, but it is recommended that you repeat the method 4 times in 4 days. The practice takes 5-10 minutes per day and you will notice the change almost immediately. If you already have a very strong and vivid imagination with good visualization, you can do the exercise once and then decide if you need to do it further.
- Sit with your back straight and comfortably.
- Take your left hand and close all fingers into a relaxed fist, while pointing with your first index finger upwards. While you can see your index finger's nail, take your right hand and wrap it around the finger as holding a stick, and then take your right hand thumb and press it against the index finger's right side, just above where the nail starts. If you can feel a small electric shock or sensation, you've hit the correct spot. If you are left handed, you should switch hands. If you do not get a shock or if you're uncertain, just press it lightly against the index finger where it feels all right.
- Inhale, and then exhale while making a long Thu sound. The th is like the English, you push your tongue gently against the back of your upper teeth; while the u is the same pronunciation as the oo in the word moon. If you clench your teeth and mouth slightly shut, lips open with a gap, you can then also do a forced yawn and stretch the muscles and cheek bones to amplify the vibration noise in the whole head. Do one long vibration for every exhale.
- If you do not feel anything, change the pitch or the vibration slightly up or down. Most people have a unique tone because of the shape of the skull, so using a tone from a video or audio clip will most likely not benefit you more than understanding the posture and method.
- When you hit the right tone, your gland will itch or tickle slightly and after 2 or 3 tries, you will feel a slight pressure on the forehead just above the eyes.
- Repeat the vibration and breath 4 times and then relax. If you wish to push yourself further, you will be rewarded with muscle sourness and head aches just as if you've never used your eyes before in a light room.
- Repeat the method 4 times with 24 hours apart. Finish with meditation on the location above your eyes, inside your nose cavity.
- M.W. KAPP, M.D. GLANDS - Our Invisible Guardians A.M.O.R.C. Rosicrucian Library: Volume XCIII, Supree Grand Lodge of AMORC: 1939